- 1/2 cup Jamaican Rum
- 8 ounces pitted dates, cut into large pieces
- 1 pound dark raisins
- 8 ounces whole candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped, candied pineapple
- 1 pound mixed candied fruit
- 4 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup egg nog
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached white flour
- 1-1/2 cups unsifted whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups pecan halves
- More Jamaican Rum
Up to six months in advance:
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Allow to marinate overnight at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees farenheight. Grease two 9.25 X 5.25-inch non-stick pans and line with wax paper or parchment.
In a large bowl beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Blend in egg nog, molasses, and melted butter.
In another large bowl sift together flours, baking powder, salt and spices. Add pecans and toss gently to coat. Do the same for the marinated fruit. Take the egg mixture and combine it with flour mixture, blending well.
Pour into prepared pans, filling appoximately 3/4 full. Bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan, on rack, for 15 mintues before turning out. When completely cool, wrap in cheesecloth soaked in rum and store in airtight container. Once or twice a month, resoak cloths with 1/4 cup rum. Can be stored up to one year in the refrigerator.
Makes two 3lb loaves.