I gave this recipe a try when my favorite chili recipe (the one I keep forgetting to write down) was unavailable for the Super Bowl. It comes from the “Fix-it and Forget-it Big Cookbook”. I found it a tad watery but otherwise absolutely delicious. To be made in a 5-6 quart crockpot.
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 3 pounds beef stewing meat, cubed (the original recipe called for 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces, each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sliced carrots (I used sliced frozen)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I used 4 teaspoons of dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I used coarsely ground black pepper)
Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
Brown beef in bacon drippings, in skillet.
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker (I did not include the remaining bacon drippings).
Cover. Cook on Low for 9-10 hours, or until meat is tender. Stir occasionally.
Makes 15 servings