A flavorful vegetarian casserole. If you have an aversion to process cheese, feel free to omit it. The lentils and veggies are very tasty, by themselves.
- 1-3/4 cups dried lentils, washed
- 10 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 8 ounces process cheese loaf (such as Velveeta)
Combine lentils, water and bay leaf in a large saucepan; bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover; simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain. Place lentils in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or pan.
Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a medium-size skillet until soft, about 5 minutes. Add to lentils with carrots, celery, green pepper, tomatoes, salt, pepper, marjoram, sage and thyme. Stir to mix. Cover with foil.
Bake at 375°F for 1 hour. Uncover. Slice cheese; layer evenly over top. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.