Kit Carson Soup
Posted by Babs on December 27, 2013
- 4-5 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken (or 3 turkey drumsticks)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 stalks of celery, cut up
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 9 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning (I use McCormick’s Perfect Pinch)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 yellow crookneck or summer squash, thinly sliced
- 15-16 ounce can chick peas (garbanzos)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons salted sunflower seeds
Rinse chicken (or turkey) well. Place in a 5-6 quart crock pot. Add 6 cups of water, onion, celery, bay leaves, salt and peppercorns. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until tender.
Lift chicken from the broth and cool. Strain the stock and return to the crock pot (since the chicken is usually falling apart at this point I find it easiest to forego the lifting and just pour the contents into a large colander, within either a larger bowl or pot). Remove the meat from the bones, tear into 1-inch sized pieces and return to the pot. Turn heat to high. Add Mexican seasoning, oregano, squash and chick peas. Cover and cook an additional hour.
Stir in cilantro and sunflower seeds, and serve.
Makes approximately 8 servings