My kids hate homemade mac and cheese. While the instant stuff isn’t bad, and is great for a quick and easy meal, I will always prefer this homemade version. Fits a 6 quart Crock Pot.
- 3 cups milk
- Two 12 oz cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temp
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups (12 oz) shredded cheese (I’ve used a variety of cheese blends including Italian, and Cheddar, blends)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or mini penne tubes
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Stir in pasta and par boil, uncovered (cook for approximately half the time recommended on the package). Drain and set aside.
Grease the inside of your crock pot with shortening. This stuff sticks so be sure to grease the liner well. Combine milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, and salt in a mixer’s bowl or blender and mix/blend until smooth. Pour into the crock pot.
Add the shredded cheese (not the Parmesan) and macaroni; sprinkle with black pepper. Stir gently with a spatula to coat evenly. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
Reduce the temperature to LOW and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender. Serve immediately.