This recipe requires some prep work but it is so worth it! Do not fear the raisins. They add just a hint of sweetness.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise then cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pimento olives
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2/3 cup frozen small green peas
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Pie crust for one 9-inch pie
- Egg wash: 1 egg plus 1 Tablespoon water
In a large skillet, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, cook chorizo sausage over medium-high heat, stirring often, until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, then sauté with olive oil until chicken is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon; set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add butter, onion, and garlic to skillet; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly, and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened.
Add potato, carrots, bay leaf and pepper. Stir to combine well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 7 to 9 minutes, or until potatoes are almost cooked. Discard bay leaf.
Add chicken and chorizo sausages back to skillet; stir to combine.
Stir in olives, raisins, peas, vinegar and remaining teaspoon of salt.
Spread mixture evenly in a 9-inch pie dish. Cover with aluminum foil and cool in refrigerator before putting crust on top (at this point you can refrigerate the filling for 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month).
Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out pastry into an 11-inch circle and lay over filling, creating a decorative edge. Brush entire crust with egg wash and cut several 1/2-inch slits. Place pie in oven and cook 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling (it’s recommended to place the pie on the top rack, with a baking sheet on the rack below it, to catch any drippings).
Makes 6 servings