My boys are big fans of Hamburger Helper so when I found this recipe I decided to give it a try. IMHO it make a bit more than two boxes of HH, plus there’s fewer additive and more nutrition. The Teen insists that it “smells like butt” yet he later gobbled it down. Ben obviously likes it; he ate half of it, himself.
- 1 pound medium size shell macaroni
- 2 packages Sloppy Joe Mix (I use Lawry’s)
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked
- 2 cans (8 ounces, each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces , each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 32 ounces cottage cheese
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook macaroni according to package directions (minimum time). Drain. Combine seasoning mix with ground beef, tomato sauce, tomato paste and 1 cup of water.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a sprayed 5-6 quart casserole dish (I used my over-sized lasagna dish), layer half the macaroni, half the cottage cheese, and half the meat mixture. Repeat. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until bubbling.
Makes 8-12 servings